This is my last Cinco de Mayo recipe for this week. I will have one more coming up next week to round out the series. This is also the last recipe I’m sharing from the cookbook that I’m reviewing: Triple Slow Cooker Entertaining: 100 Plus Recipes and 30 Party Plans. This was another really good recipe! I did not find one recipe out of this cookbook that I didn’t like yet! This recipe does use a full jalapeno pepper, but since the chicken is just cooked in it and broth and you loose some of the pepper when you take the chicken out, it’s not quite as spicy as the soup was. This was Michelle’s from Honest and Truly favorite recipe that I made.
Chicken con Queso Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup reduced-sodium ready to use chicken broth
- 1- 4 oz can chopped mild green chiles
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- flour tortillas warmed
- Place chicken in one slow cooker stoneware. Sprinkle with jalapeno, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour broth over top.
- Cover and cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours or on High for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until chicken is no longer pin inside and a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 165 F.
- Using tongs, transer chicken to a tray. Pour liquid into a deep bowl. Using two forks, shred chicken. Return chicken to stoneware and stir in green chiles, cheese, cilantro, salsa and sour cream. Skim fat from liquid. Measure out 1/2 cup liquid and pour into stoneware (discard excess liquid.) If you want the sauce a bit thinner, you can add more of the liquid before you discard it.
- Cover and cook on Low for 30 minutes or until heated through. Turn to Warm for serving.
- To serve, spoon chicken mixture into center of each warm tortilla, then fold tortilla over filling. We also added cheese and diced avocado to ours.