Here is recipe 4 from my Cinco de Mayo party! Chicken Tortilla Soup! This was my first time ever using a jalapeno pepper. I made sure to wear gloves so that I didn’t accidentally get pepper juice on me. I can imagine doing that, I’m such a klutz! This recipe also came from the cookbook that I’m reviewing: Triple Slow Cooker Entertaining: 100 Plus Recipes and 30 Party Plans. I’ll be sharing one more recipe before I completely share my thoughts on the book since it’s a Triple Slow Cooker book, I of course, made three recipes! 🙂 The first recipe I made was Tex Mex Spinach Dip. While this recipe was a little hot for me, I think it was great! My husband said it was really good. Trisha from Night Owl Mama said it was way too hot for her. (Lightweight! Just kidding.)
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil I used coconut
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2- 6 " corn tortillas torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dry minced granulated garlic
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1- 14 oz can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium ready-to-use chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Minced fresh cilantro shredded cheddar cheese, avocado, sour cream and/or crushed tortilla chips (for toppings)
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides.
- Transfer chicken to one slow cooker stoneware. Stir in tortillas, jalapeno, onion, red pepper, cumin, garlic, chili powder, cayenne, tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce and broth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours, until chicken is no longer pink inside and vegetables are tender. Turn to Warm for serving.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with cilantro, cheddar, avocado, sour cream and tortilla chips as desired.