Monkey’s birthday was on the 11th, which was also Mother’s Day this year. I decided I wanted to make some cupcakes for her to take to the family picnic in the park. I didn’t want to make plain old cupcakes, so I decided to give Kool-Aid a try in the cupcakes and frosting to make Blue Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes. I really liked them and I think the kids would have liked them better without those little flower candies on top. I think they were stale or something because they did not taste good. The cupcake liners, flower picks, and flower candies all came in a little Wilton pack that I found at Meijer. It was on clearance cheaper than just a pack of cupcake liners so I got that. I should have gotten something else. Not only were the candies icky, but the liners stained the inside of my cupcake pan!
Blue Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- 1 box of White Cake Mix I used Pillsbury
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or whatever oil you like to use
- 3 eggs
- 2 packages Blue Raspberry Lemonade Kool-Aid
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350. Mix cake mix, oil, water, and eggs together. Add in one packet of Kool-Aid mix to your batter.
- Evenly distribute batter in 24 cupcake molds or cupcake wrappers.
- Bake cupcakes for 19-23 minutes.
- While cupcakes are baking, in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla, Kool-Aid, and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
- When cupcakes are cool, frost with your Blue Raspberry Lemonade Buttercream Frosting and enjoy!
I love how easy it is to make this recipe and that you can give it a little kick with some Kool-Aid. I don’t think it was too sweet with the Lemonade Kool-Aid mix. Some other mixes give it a weird flavor. Have you ever added Kool-Aid to your cupcakes? What’s your favorite cupcake?