I was making some cherry pork chops and needed a side to go with them. I really wanted some Rice-a-Roni but seeing that I’m trying to avoid packaged foods, I haven’t bought any in a LONG time. I started scouring the web for a way to make some at home. I found a few different recipes and threw them together along with my own idea. I fell in love with it made this way and will never buy the box again. I could actually package everything up that I needed and keep a few “packages” on hand so it’s ready to go. I may do that after the kids go back to school and I have some free time to prep it.
Homemade Rice a Roni
- 1 cup rice uncooked
- 1/2 cup angel hair pasta broken into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/4 t. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 t. paprika
- 1 package of Knorr Chicken Homestyle stock or 3 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 2/3 cups hot water
- In medium skillet (with lid), melt the butter over medium heat.
- In small bowl combine salt, pepper, seasoning and paprika and put aside.
- Add rice and pasta and cook, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Dissolve chicken stock or bouillon cubes in hot water and add to skillet along with your seasonings.
- Bring to a simmer and cover. Simmer on low heat, covered, approximately 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.