Welcome to Day 11! I woke up with another headache and a to-do list so long I want to crawl back into bed. I don’t like days like these! I think today’s cookies kind of reflect how I feel today. They didn’t turn out right. They tasted good, I just couldn’t get my meringue to stiffen up just right. I do plan to try these again when I don’t have so many other cookies to make, because I’m determined to make them look pretty.
Cherry Almond Meringue Cookies
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/4 tsp. cherry extract
- Red food coloring optional
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Place eggs whites in a medium mixing bowl and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. (I've found that my kitchen isn't very warm. I should have let mine sit out longer, I think.) Line two large cookie sheets with foil. Set aside.
- Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites. Beat with electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 2 tablespoons or so at a time, beating till stiff, glossy peaks form and sugar dissolved.
- Quickly beat in the cherry & almond extracts and, if desired, several drops red food coloring to tint the mixture pink.
- Using a decorating bag fitted with a large star tip, pipe cookies 1" or so in diameter onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake in a oven for 15 minutes. Turn off oven and let cookies dry in oven with door closed about 30 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets. Store in a tightly covered container in a cool, dry place.
Recipe Adapted from MomSpark