I wanted to try lasagna in the slow cooker but didn’t know which recipe to try. My friend Amanda told me to try this one from Betty Crocker. I found that making it in the slow cooker takes just as much work as making it in the oven and it finished WAY faster than it was supposed to. The recipe said 4-6 hours on low and it took 2. I put it in thinking I needed about 5 hours and had to turn it off early so that it wouldn’t be mush. It turned out tasty!
Slow Cooker Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cans 15 ounces each Italian-style tomato sauce (I actually needed more sauce at the end so I used a little spaghetti sauce on top)
- 2 t dried basil leaves
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese 8 ounces
- 1 container 15 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 15 uncooked lasagna noodles
- Cook sausage and onion in 10-inch skillet over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, basil and salt.
- Mix 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and the ricotta and Parmesan cheeses. (Refrigerate remaining mozzarella cheese while lasagna cooks.)
- Spoon one-fourth of the sausage mixture into 6-quart slow cooker; top with 5 noodles, broken into pieces to fit. Spread with half of the cheese mixture and one-fourth of the sausage mixture. Top with 5 noodles, remaining cheese mixture and one-fourth of the sausage mixture. Top with remaining 5 noodles and remaining sausage mixture.
- Cover and cook on Low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or until noodles are tender. (It only took mine 2 hours so make sure you check it.)
- Sprinkle top of lasagna with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into pieces.