This is another one of those Pinterest finds. Sign up for Pinterest if you haven’t! I find the most fun stuff to try out! I found this recipe from Picky-Palate. Her pictures are awesome and it made me want to run out and get the ingredients right away for these meatballs! I ordered some of the ingredients online from our local grocer, Caputos, and they messed up two key ingredients. Instead of getting mozzarella balls I got one large ball so I had to cut it into pieces and instead of bringing me fresh Parmesan cheese they brought me grated which I already had a ton of. She said her recipe made 10 meatballs. Mine actually made 15 (it’s probably because my pieces of cheese were smaller than her balls of cheese.) The kids LOVED this meal and each had 2-3 servings. My kids are crazy for spaghetti and meatballs, though.
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs Recipe
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c finely chopped white onion
- 1/2 c Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 c fresh shredded parmesan cheese I used 1/4 c grated
- 1/4 c milk
- 2 T minced garlic
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T yellow mustard
- 1 t hot sauce like Tabasco (left this out because I didn't think the kids would like hot)
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 t garlic salt
- Ten 1-inch Mozzarella balls I used 1 large ball, cut into 12 pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease 9×13-inch baking dish with oil.
- Place beef, egg, onion, bread crumbs, Parmesan, milk, garlic, Worcestershire, mustard, hot sauce, salt, pepper and garlic salt into a large mixing bowl, stirring until just combined. Take 1/4 cup beef mixture and press into center with your thumb to make room for cheese ball. Place cheese in middle then with hands enclose the cheese with the beef, making sure the cheese is completely covered. Place meatballs into prepared baking dish and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve over top your favorite pasta or inside a warm roll for delicious meatball sandwich. (I totally missed her meatball sandwich idea, that would have been awesome!)