These are basically the same recipe as the caramel surprise cookies, but I wanted to try it with the cherry Hershey’s Kisses. It is now one of my favorite cookies. I used the red sugar which made it a little more crunchy and sweet on the outside and the way the cherry liquid gets chewy makes these a great cookie to me.
Cherry Surprise Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans- You can add these I didn't
- 48 Cherry Cordial Filled Hershey's Kisses unwrap them and place in the freezer at least 1hr
- 1 tablespoon red colored sugar
- Red Baking Chips
- In a large bowl, cream together the white sugar, brown sugar, and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, and baking soda, gradually stir into the creamed mixture. Fold in the pecans. Cover dough and chill for at least one hour. .
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- With floured hands, wrap about 1 tablespoon of dough around each piece of candy, completely covering the candy. Roll each ball in the remaining tablespoon of white sugar. Place 2 inches apart on an unprepared cookie sheet. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. (I found that you should not go over 9 minutes because when I did the cookies burst and sticky cherry juice would flow out.) Cookies should be set and slightly cracked.
- Grate a little red baking chips on top when first out of the oven