Thanks to my friend Di, I used a few different recipes to pull this together for my neighborhood fall tea. It was a big hit!
Apple Pie Filling (canned or use following ingredients/directions) (The following ingredients for the apple pie filling actually made double what I needed)
- 3 cups thinly sliced apples
- 1-1/4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups water
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 2 T sugar
- 1 can of crescent rolls (seamless would be best)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 t milk
- 1/4 t almond extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray large cookie sheet with cooking spray, or grease with shortening.
- If using crescent rolls: Unroll dough into 2 long rectangles. Place dough on cookie sheet; overlap long sides to form 13×7-inch rectangle. Firmly press perforations and edges to seal. If using dough sheet: Unroll dough; cut into 2 long rectangles. Place dough on cookie sheet; overlap long sides to form 13×7-inch rectangle. Firmly press edges to seal.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and set aside. Pour water into a Dutch oven over medium heat. Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add to water, stir well, and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add apples and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Mix cream cheese and sugar together.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over center of crescent roll rectangle
- Spread apple mixture over cream cheese mixture.
- Make cuts 1 inch apart on each side of rectangle just to edge of filling. Alternating from side to side, fold cut strips of dough at an angle halfway across filling, slightly overlapping ends.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheet. Cool at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix powdered sugar, milk and almond extract, adding enough milk for desired drizzling consistency; mix well. Drizzle over warm twist. Store in refrigerator.