Peppermint Stained Glass Cutout Cookies
- 3/4 c butter softened
- 1 c sugar
- 1 T milk
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/8 t salt
- Crushed candy canes
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle. (Do not leave it in your garage at 32 degrees for 5 hours, you will not be able to move it!)
- Meanwhile, coarsely crush your candy canes (you can use colored hard candies such as Life Savers, but I didn't find they worked very well for me and I liked the candy cane taste); set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness.
- Cut with 4-in cookie cutters dipped in flour.
- Cut out centers with 1-in. cookie cutters.
- Place cookies 1 in. apart on lightly greased foil-lined baking sheets.
- Fill centers with crushed candies. (Instead of using flour and greased cookie sheets, I used parchment paper. I threw my dough between two pieces to roll it out and then left the cut-out cookies on the parchment paper to bake. They didn't stick to anything and it was so much easier to throw them on the cooling rack and re-use the pan right away.)
- Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes or until the candy is melted and the edges begin to brown.
- Cool completely on baking sheets.
- Carefully peel cookies off the foil.
I loved the taste of these cookies made with candy canes. They were crisp and soft at the same time. Great addition to your holiday baking list!