- 1 box (15 oz) refrigerated pie crusts
- 8 oz thinly sliced Black Forest or Virginia Ham
- 8 oz thinly sliced Cheddar or Swiss Cheese (I used Cheddar)
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- Heat oven to 425ºF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil.
- Unroll pie crusts. Cut each crust into 24 pumpkin shapes with a 3-in pumpkin cookie cutter. Using a 1/2-in triangular cookie cutter or a sharp knife, cut out eyes and a nose from 12 of the cutouts. (My cutter must have been bigger than 3″ because I only was able to make 16 pumpkin shapes and that was with re-rolling scraps of crust)
- Using a 2-in. round cutter, cut 24 rounds from the sliced ham and 24 rounds from the sliced Cheddar.
- Place 2 slices of Cheddar in the center of each of the 12 solid pumpkins; top each with 2 slices of ham. With a small brush, brush beaten egg around edges. Top with remaining pumpkins with cut-out faces, carefully pressing on edges to seal. (I did not seal mine well enough, as you will see below.)
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with beaten egg. Bake 12-15 minutes until light golden. let cool on rack 5 minutes before serving.
These turned out really yummy. They took a long time to prep, but they’d be fun for a party as finger snacks. (Especially if you have the right size cookie cutter.)