Continuing from yesterday, here is another avocado recipe from my party. This one I got inspiration from BeingAlison. She only put avocados on top and I decided to mix it in. I meant to get a picture of the mac and cheese in a serving size, but never got around to it. Sorry! This recipe is best when it’s just out of the oven. When you have to reheat it, it dries out. I really enjoyed this recipe and think I’m going to try to serve it to the kids sometime soon. I’m just going to tell them that I dyed it green, like green eggs and ham.
- ½ pound cooked cherry wood smoked bacon
- 1 large avocado
- 1½ cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups Kraft Cheddar Pepper Jack Finely Shredded Cheese
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ½ sleeve of butter crackers (such as Ritz)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- First cook your bacon. I cooked it in my cast iron skillet.
- Cook your elbow macaroni.
- While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour and salt. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in cheese. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
- Once cheese is melted, put avocado and cheese into stand mixer and combine until smooth. Add crumbled bacon to cheese.
- Drain macaroni. Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce.
- Spoon into ungreased baking dish.
- Combine melted butter and crushed butter crackers.
- Top macaroni and cheese with buttered crackers.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.