Have you ever tried Rice Vinegar? I had never even heard of Rice Vinegar until I was asked to try Nakano Seasoned Rice Vinegar. As you can see above, there are a bunch of different flavors. I got to try natural and roasted garlic. I used it to make Sofrito Rice (recipe below) and grilled asparagus and beets. I splashed the roasted garlic rice vinegar on the vegetables and grilled them along with some chicken and made the Sofrito rice with the natural rice vinegar. You know what’s nice about Nakano Rice Vinegars? They are all zero calories and zero fat and 0-20 calories, depending on the flavor. It added a really nice flavor to the asparagus. The Sofrito Rice was delicious and I can’t wait to make it again!
Nakano is having a 60-day Splash it on, Step it up challenge on Facebook. The challenge is to get you to eat more veggies and to become more active. Nakano’s goal is to track 1,000,000 total steps and they will give away an extra one year gym membership. The first prize winner will receive a one year membership, the second prize is six personal training sessions and third prize is a Nakano gym bag. They also have a Splash for Cash program which includes recipes and blog features. Each month a Splash subscriber has the chance to win $150.
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 cup Nakano Natural Rice Vinegar
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 T chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 t dried thyme
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- Heat oil in a 10- to12-inch skillet.
- Add onion, green pepper (or mild chiles), garlic and salt. Sauté over medium-high heat 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in rice vinegar. Cook 2-3 minutes more or until vinegar is absorbed.
- Stir in rice, tomatoes, cilantro and thyme.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Stir and serve. Garnish with additional cilantro, if desired.
recipe by Nakano Rice Vinegar
I wrote this review while participating in a campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Nakano and received a product sample to facilitate my review and a promotional item to thank me for participating.