Last weekend we had our son’s Blue and Gold ceremony for Cub Scouts. We were asked to bring an appetizer to share. I saw these on Pinterest and knew I wanted to give them a try. They’re pretty time consuming, but I thought they turned out pretty cute. They went over really well at the ceremony. I had none left. My suggestion is to not make them too early, though, because your crackers will get soggy. They originally come from Taste of Home.
Serves: 3 dozen
Serving size: 3
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Black paste food coloring
- ½ teaspoon minced green onion
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic salt
- ⅛ teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 36 butter-flavored crackers
- 18 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 18 large pitted ripe olives
- 72 fresh green onion pieces (about 1-1/2 inches long)
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Remove 1 tablespoon to a small bowl and tint black. Place tinted cream cheese mixture in a small plastic bag; set aside.
- Add the green onion, garlic salt and parsley to the remaining cream cheese mixture. Spread over crackers. Arrange two tomato quarters on each for the ladybug wings.
- For heads, halve the olives widthwise; place one half on each cracker. Insert two pieces of green onion into olives for antennae. Use tinted cream cheese mixture to pipe spots onto wings.