I got this recipe from the Carb Lovers Diet Cook Book, which I’m reviewing. I haven’t made any more recipes from the book yet. I wasn’t very fond of this recipe, to be honest. It kind of turned out dry and for some reason the red pepper didn’t mix throughout the whole recipe leaving spots a little too hot and others with no heat at all. I thought it was kind of flavorless as well. I thought it was way too much work for the way it turned out. I hope to have better luck with the other recipes in this book. If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear if you have better luck! Here’s the recipe:
Serves: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
Fat: 12.1 g
- 2½ c low-fat milk (1%)
- 4 T flour
- ⅛ t ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 oz reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 oz smoked Gouda cheese, grated
- 2 oz reduced-fat Gruyere or Swiss cheese, grated (I used swiss)
- ¼ t cayenne pepper
- ¼ t pepper
- 6 c cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 c unseasoned bread crumbs
- 2 T freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 t chopped thyme
- 2 t chopped parsley
- 1 t olive oil or butter
- ¼ t salt
- ¼ t pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Whisk together milk and flour in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, add nutmeg, and cook, stirring until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add cheddar, Gouda, Gruyere, cayenne, and pepper; whisk until melted, 1 minute. Add macaroni and stir to combine.
- Toss bread crumbs, Parmesan, thyme, parsley, oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place six individual crocks, ramekins, or ovenproof bowls on a rimmed baking sheet. Spoon 1 cup macaroni mixture into each ramekin and sprinkle with ⅙ cup bread-crumb topping.
- Bake until topping is browned and cheese is bubbling, 30-35 minutes. Serve hot.